This 49 room design hotel is partially housed in the original Lee Rubber Building designed by Booty Edwards and Parters in 1931. The studio was engaged to oversee conceptually and design the 3-storey modern extension over the existing building, lead the interior architectural renovations within the existing building and interior fit- out for the establishment.
The approach to the design was conceived from the idea that duality exists within us all thus transcends itself naturally into the conceptualization of the spaces within the hotel and its interiors. The past and present, the light and dark, raw yet refined. A series of multi-levelled atrium spaces are punched through the floors of the existing building to expand the spread natural light and ventilation into the corridor spaces leading to the hotel rooms. The new extension rises quietly above, designed to hover over the historical mass that supports it. The architecture of the new extension is differentiated through the series vertical fins that cast shade and lend privacy to the rooms.